Thursday, September 13, 2007

Traffic...

I'm almost starting to prefer driving to biking around campus. Driving at least has rules. Biking, I have a choice. Heading to campus, I can take the bike lane in the road, which is very rough, about 1½ bikes wide, and usually occupied by bikes going the other direction, and occasionally cars pulling into parking spots. Or I can take the sidewalk, which is usually crowded with students going veeeeerrrry slllloooowwwwlly (compared to biking speed). Then there's the grass, if I feel like dodging the trees.

On campus, biking is a hair-raising experience. The paths are full of students - mostly pedestrians, quite a few bikers and skateboarders, but also cars, roller bladers, even wheelchairs. None of them stay on one side of the path or the other. People stop to chat in the middle of the path. Faster transportation (bikes, skateboards) have to dodge and weave among slower. Periodically two bikes going opposite directions will head for the same gap in traffic, with potentially disastrous results.

And I can STILL never remember where I parked.

No comments: