Saturday, September 23, 2006

Zzzzzzzz...

A word to the wise:
If you want sleep, don't get a cat.

Rough chronology of my night:
10:30 - Lights out.
12:00 - Put book away. (Don't ask.)
12:30 - Start to fall asleep.
12:33 - Horrible yowling noises proceeding from the next room, where new cat encountered old.
1:00 - Start to fall asleep again.
1:02 - Something wet and slimy touches me. Jerk awake to discover it was a cat's tongue.
1:45 - Cat comes to snuggle up to me, purring. Loudly. Right in my ear.
2:00-4:00 - Spastic sleep. Cat wanders in and out, yowling every time she wants attention. Saying interesting things about whoever decided cats were nocturnal.
4:20 - Hear cat scratching suspiciously in the corner. Hastily get up and shift her to the litterbox.
4:35 - Cat uses litterbox for the first time. Am too sleepy to be relieved that I will not find another aromatic pile on my carpet.

And so on. Cats would be extinct long ago, if they weren't so cussedly stubborn. And cute.

No comments: